Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Happy First Year, Rulebreaker!


One year ago today my debut novel, Rulebreaker, was released by Carina Press. It’s been a wild ride for the past year. Lots of ups, a few downs, but overall fantastic. I can’t say too often how fabulous Carina Press and my editor Rhonda Stapleton have been, or how much I appreciate the input and patience of my agent, Natalie Lakosil at Bradford Literary Agency.

I’ve received great feedback from readers. No, not all of it was “OMG! This book rocked!” And that’s all right. I need to know what works and what doesn’t so I can make future books better. So thank you ALL for your comments and reviews.

Rulebreaker’s actual birth/conception (ie: first words on paper or into computer) took place long before last August. Perusing old files, I found the original bits that dated back to 2008, a full manuscript dated late 2009, and the full I’d sent to Carina after getting picked up in a pitch contest in May 2010. But it didn’t stop there. Rulebreaker went through a few changes, including the title. It saw the red pens—or rather, the red of Track Changes—of two critique partners and a couple of beta readers. Two different editors worked on it with me. There was a cover that wasn’t really the cover that had to be straightened out. For the record, I loved both versions. Carina covers rock!

So now, over three years later, Rulebreaker is out there. I have two more books in the works with Carina Press. Other stories are in various stages of development. I’m busy writing and researching, falling in love with new characters and trying to keep some of the plot bunnies wrangled for later dates. Life is good and I couldn’t be happier. And I have many people to thank for that. So thank you!

To celebrate, I’m having a giveaway. A digital copy of Rulebreaker and a $25 gift certificate to Amazon or B&N or wherever. There may be another surprise prize, if the stars align themselves. I'll keep you posted.

EDITED TO ADD: I just received actual print copies of Rulebreaker that were not needed for the Ritas. So there will be more than one prize winner. Ebook or print copy plus the GC for the first person chosen. Ebook or print for a second lucky duck. Comment away, people!!!! Oh, and funny thing, the cover of the print book is not the same as the ebook. Heh!

What do you have to do? Comment on this post. Ask me about my writing process. Tell me if you’ve read the book and what you liked or didn’t like. Ask me about living in Alaska. Whatever. I’ll do a random drawing on Sunday, August 12. Also, can you answer this question: What was Rulebreaker’s original title? No, you don’t have to answer correctly to win anything. I just want to see who’s paying attention : ) BTW, my CP’s cannot answer this one!

ETD, Part 2: We have winners! Helgagrace won a print copy of Rulebreaker and asked for an iTunes gift card. Taryn Rose won an ebook copy of Rulebreaker. Thanks for commenting everyone!!!

Oh, and the original title for Rulebreaker was....Hmmm...I think I'll save that for another time ; )

Labels: , , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Pippa Jay said...

My question is - how do you cope with the extremes - the long days in summer and the long nights in winter?

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Hi Pippa!
Dealing with the light or lack of it was tough at first. I'd be bothered by light coming into the window way too early in the morning or staying up past bedtime because it was still light at midnight! In the winter, I'd be sleepy by 5 or 6 PM. In summer, we use shades or other window covers in the bedrooms. During the winder, we have a lot of lights on. Electric bill about evens out ; ) Now, I'm used to both and get about the same amount of sleep throughout the year. Though I do tend to stay up a wee bit later in summer because of the light. And because I know I don't have work in the morning ; )
Thanks for stopping by!

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Taryn Rose said...

I love your story, Cathy. Interesting and inspiring! I am curious to read Rulebreaker and your future works. Being that you opened the floor to questions concerning your living in Alaska, I do wonder what your feeling is on Sarah Palin, both before and in the grand aftermath of the presidential election?

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Hi Taryn,
I hope you get a chance to read Rulebreaker : )
As for Sarah... *sigh* Compared to the uber conservative we had in the governor's office beforehand, she seemed downright sane and middle of the road. Granted, I didn't look too far into her background when she was mayor of a town here, but she *sounded* normal. Even for a Republican ; ) I almost voted for her. I know, right?!? Her time as governor wasn't too terrible. Like I said, compared to the other guy she made sense most of the time. Then she was tapped by McCain and wow! The stuff that came out about her that I hadn't heard while she was mayor years ago, controversies in the governor's office that were swept away (again, I didn't follow as closely as I should have)! But I think it was her metamorphosis from somewhat moderate right to Tea Party darling that stunned me most. Her rhetoric sounded so off the freaking wall. Whoever her handlers/speech writers had been in Alaska earned their bucks if they had been keeping her from sounding like a douche for the two years she was in office here. All in all, I think Alaska dodged a bullet when she resigned to go on the campaign trail for VP. Tho the guy we have as governor now is a tool : P AK is a very right-wing state, for the most part.
Wow, that's probably the most I've ever written about Palin or politics : )
Thanks for asking!

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Diane Dooley said...

I have a question about Rulebreaker (which I've read and loved.) I've read some of the reviews and noted comments on, specifically, the ex-husband and the mother. I enjoyed both those characters. I'd say more, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. My question is: have there been reviews that made you wish you'd either left out or toned down those characters?

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Hi Diane,

Aw, thanks! :)

Great question! I've heard a lot about both of them too. I guess that's a good thing no matter how anyone feels, right? :) I'm very happy with the way Tonio and Sabine contribute to the story. Their relationships with Liv say a lot about her. I think they bring out the best and worst in her, depending on the circumstances :) I actually tweaked the relationship with Tonio during edits, but basically left it intact. So while I can appreciate readers' take on the characters, I wouldn't change that aspect of the story.

Here's a little trivia: When I was writing the first synopsis for Rulebreaker (anyone figure out the original title?) I asked my husband to help me cut it down by half a page or so. His response: Get rid of the mother. Not just in the synopsis. He wanted her gone totally O.O Needless to say, DH and I agreed to disagree there.

Thanks for dropping by!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Maria Zannini said...

It's been forever since I've seen a post from you!

Happy anniversary to Rulebreaker!

I'd like to know what you did before you began writing, and has it influenced what you write.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Hi Maria!

I've been terrible about keeping up with your blog! Always nice to check in with you tho :)

What did I do before I ever decided to write? I was a biology grunt until jobs went kablooey. Then a school bus driver and assisted living activities driver/office assistant. Once my first daughter was born, I needed to save my sanity and decided to try writing. That was 13 years ago :)

All that has influenced my writing. I've been a science geek for a long time, so it's not surprising I like science fiction. And the biology grunt aspect comes into play in a paranormal women's fiction I wrote and would love to see out there some day.

As for what influenced Rulebreaker..Hmmm. Lot of obvious (love of SF) and not so obvious (two women? Really?) bits of my nature ;)

Does that answer things?

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Ruth Diaz said...

I haven't read Rulebreaker, but I just read the excerpt and now I'm going to have to.

How did your protagonists both come to be women? I don't mean that in the literal sense for them, of course. It's more that I'm curious because I have my own love story between two women coming out this month from Carina, and while I'm delighted with it, I hadn't expected to be writing to women, at least not any time soon. But when the characters started talking to me, they had strong opinions. *wrygrin* I guess I wonder if other people are similarly shanghaied by the voices in their heads.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Hi Ruth,

I already had the MC, Liv, in my head, and I knew she was going to fall for her boss. As soon as I started working up RJ Talbot a stunning brunette popped into my head. She was strong and smart, aloof and wary, everything a wannabe blackmailer would have a tough time circumventing. And she was gorgeous. All that was perfect for throwing Liv's personal equilibrium off : ) It didn't take long to get into the idea of Liv and Zia together. It was different, for sure, but I enjoyed exploring the newness. And research was pretty fun too ; )

I can't wait to read Superheroes Union!

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Anna M said...

I don't have a question, but wanted to tell you to keep up the good work!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Aw, thanks :) I'm trying!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home