Friday, April 11, 2008

It Ain't Over Til It's Over

If you look at your calendar, it is Spring. Birds are returning from their wintering grounds, trees are beginning to bud, flowers are poking their lovely little heads from the ground, all anxious to continue the cycle of life after a long winter's slumber.

That's happening here in the Semi-Far North too, but here's what our birds, trees and flowers are saying: "What the hell?!?"

Why are they so shocked, perplexed and grumpy (ok, I'm the grumpy one, but I'm sure there are more than a few pissy birds out there)? Because in less than 24 hours we were smacked with a spring snow storm that dumped 18-24 inches of the white stuff. Yes, you read that correctly.

This morning, I had to forge a path for my kids so we could reach the bus stop because my 7 year old was getting bogged down. Luckily, my 11 year old is almost as tall as I am and had a somewhat easier time of it. My DH, coming home after a few days in other parts of the state, almost got our 4-wheel drive pickup truck stuck as he was trying to come up our hill. I told him to forget it, just go on to work and hopefully the plowman will have pity on us and come ALL the way up the road this time. We'll see.

You know it's bad when the people who have been here forever are saying THEY'RE sick of the snow. Makes me feel somewhat better, but I still have to shovel. Again.

And by the way, please don't remind me that I live in Alaska. I've been questioning the brilliance of that decision A LOT the past couple of days and bringing up my error in judgement may send me over the edge. The very snowy, wet in my boots edge.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Is it called dogwood winter in Alaska or just a normal spring? :)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

God help me if this is "normal" for here. There are other places that get even more snow on a very regular basis. But I don't live there because I don't WANT that kind of snow on a regular basis.

Another inch or two fell Saturday, but on the plus side it's warming up and melting. On the minus side, it's warming up and melting, making my driveway a mudhole.

No, I can't be happy either way : )

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Tracy Montoya said...

YUCK! My condolences. I know you like the snow, but April is just too late for it.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

It is too late in the season for snow, Tracy, but other than ranting there isn't much I can do : ) Except shovel. Again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home