Thursday, February 14, 2008

Is It Spring Yet?























The short answer is obviously not.
These pictures were taken February 3rd. The top ones are my kids making the world's deepest snow angels. Next is the kids in front of a snow wall that isn't completely man-made. Lastly, the view from my front steps. Yes, that is my poor little minivan on the left. The big, white mound on the right is our pickup. Granted, the truck is tall to begin with, but an additional foot and a half of snow makes it considerably taller. (In another photo we have, my 6'2" husband is standing at the front of the truck and the snow on the hood comes about to the top of his head. Makes it difficult for my 5'6" self to get the snow off the truck.)
Usually, I have no problem with snow, especially if I can stay inside and read or write or, as I did on this day, watch football (woo hoo! Giants!) I'll admit I don't like shoveling, but as long as the snow stops falling periodically so I can keep up with accumulation, I'm okay.
No, what I HATE about snow is when it melts. Like it's been doing here for the last two days. Tons (ok, maybe not TONS, but a LOT) of snow that has been packed into ice on my driveway is now melting. But not melting quickly in an unseasonal blaze of sunshine and running down the culverts. Or slowly enough to dribble away quietly. Oh, no. It's about 34 degrees so there is a constant layer of melt over the ice. Yeah, big fun trying to walk up or down our hill.

For two days it's been a mess of blowing snow and sloggy slush. There is 6" of water on my driveway threatening to slosh under everything we have stored outside. I have neither the stamina or strength to move scoop shovelfuls of water and ice terribly far. Plus, I wear glasses, so two minutes into the shoveling leaves me blind. The wind blows my hood off and allows the rain/snow on my unprotected head. My gloves get saturated as if I'd showered with them. I look, feel and smell (don't ask) like a drowned rat.

The dogs, since they have no other option but to go out to pee, do their business and hurry back to the porch when they'd usually mosey about and take their sweet time returning. Even in the midst of a regular snow storm, they are in no hurry. But in this mess? You've never seen two big, lumbering canines move so fast in your life.

I'm sorry I don't have a picture, but it's just too damn wet and blowy out there, so you'll have to use your imaginations. Got it? Okay, now make it worse. There ya go. Welcome to my world.
On the bright side, since I get wet and cranky quickly while trying to save my house from floating down to the highway, I have been coming back inside and ripping through my current wip. Hmmmm....maybe this crappy weather isn't so crappy after all.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger Jody W. and Meankitty said...

One of the kids' snow angels is so deep she has nearly disappeared! I would love to see a snow like that at least once in my life.

Maybe JUST once, but once.

Jody

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Tracy Montoya said...

Wow, all that and no theater. I'm just ... wow. There are no words, other than you have my condolences and wishes for a fast spring.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Jody, I wish I'd only have to deal with it just once, but such is life : ) You and the family are always welcome to visit! And fares are cheap to AK in the winter. Hmmm...wonder why?

Thanks, Tracy. Yeah, the lack of a theater is rough sometimes, especially when I see ads for all the cool movies coming out. But there is cable, and our DVD collection is growing by leaps and bounds. Snow + movies + homemade popcorn (not that microwave stuff) = good times : ) Oh, and you're welcome to visit too. We'll have a party!

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Tracy Montoya said...

Can I ferry there instead of taking a (shudder) prop plane covered with ice?

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Tracy, the ferry is a great way to get here any time of year. And there are regular jets that come in. Alaska Airlines has daily service using a 737. Though I can't guarantee it won't be covered in ice at some point ;)

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Amy Jandrey said...

Wow...can't say that I envy you on that snow. Remember those days from my childhood...not quite that deep in Wisconsin, but close. And shoveling plow snow....oy...my back hurts just remembering it! Gotta give you credit living up in the middle of Great White Nowhere!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Meretta said...

Okay, I'll stop whining about the cold, 'cause I think I'd much rather have that than all that snow! Oh, my back aches just looking at it. Minus the soggy stuff, it's great fun for the kids though!

I remember building snow caves as a child in the great drifts we used to get on the prairies. It just doesn't seem to snow like that there anymore though.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Hey, Amy and Meretta! Thanks for stopping by. No, I wouldn't envy the snow and muck if I were you either. The kids love the snow, but the rain/snow/wind combination is no fun. Nor is slipping on the water-covered ice and landing on your tailbone. Ouch!

I'd much prefer it to be colder and drier, too, Meretta. I liked Fairbanks just fine. Well, mostly just fine. But we're all learning to deal with what we have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home